Following the floor removal it was clear that the rear chassis had some damage due to a water leak which had soaked through the floor into the belly pan. Thankfully the forward chassis was undamaged. We decided to cut away the rear chassis and have a new section fabricated by www.performancefabrications.co.uk. The new chassis section was fitted along with some new outriggers and the whole chassis rust treated and painted.
It took us no time to strip out the original interior, followed by the interior skin, insulation and floor. What we found was a rat nest, almost literally! Behind nearly every panel were mice runs and most of the electrical cables had been chewed – good job its all being replaced! Thankfully the mice were no longer resident.
This is our newly aquired 1968 Airstream Overlander shown here on the dockside at Southampton after a long journey from Nashville USA which took nearly three weeks. It had been towed nearly 1000 miles to the sea port at Baltimore New York before its voyage across the atlantic. All was in good order except for one flat tyre.